Tech support, Nietzsche style
When a user is calling in need of help, don't forget that he is a weakling.
Only a loser would need to come groveling to you, begging for crumbs of help
that may fall from your godlike lips. And he KNOWS that he is a loser in the
race of the weak and the strong, that his kind is doomed to extinction.
Therefore, show him no mercy. Treat him with the utter contempt that he
deserves. It is the law of nature that you should do so.
* "You aren't very smart, are you?"
* "I can't believe you call yourself a programmer!"
* "Our product is obviously too complex and advanced for you. Please
desist from using it - you are soiling it."
Nevertheless, there may come a time when you actually must help the user,
even though he is sucking away your magnificent intellectual vitality with
his grotesque shambling confusion. He is a lower form of life and you must
make him feel it, lest he take on ambitions of evolving to your level.
* "Now I will read aloud the section of the manual that you failed to
* "You have ignominiously blundered on line 35, committing an error that
a Mongoloid programming an abacus would be ashamed of."
* "What you've done in your function, fool, is the coding equivalent of
failing to empty your colostomy bag."
Alas, upon occasion there comes a time when it is obvious that the compiler
is at fault. This is no reason to let the user feel superior to anyone,
however. The design of a compiler is still far beyond his limited mental
capacities. His duty is to worship, not criticize.
* "The inner workings of the compiler are far beyond your antlike
* "That behavior is described in ANSI specification 184.108.40.206.3.8. You
are familiar with that section, I assume..."
* "Our software can behave in that manner only if it has been corrupted
by long exposure to users of your caliber."
And finally, a user may eventually want you to code something for him, or
send him an example. The user has asked something that is against the law
of nature. Such creatures as himself exist to serve you and not you him.
Therefore such a request is impossible and against nature, and does not
exist, and therefore never happened. Response is not possible.